Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Yummy-ness

We had a very yummy chicken pot pie last night. Oh, so good! I ate way too much! I thought I'd share this recipe with you!

  • 1 recipe Pastry Topper ( I used a rolled up, store bought pie crust!)
  • 1 cup chopped leek (3 medium) or onion (1 large)
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup sliced celery (1-1/2 stalks)
  • 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 small)
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
  • 2-1/2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I cheated here too and used the canned can...)
  • 1 cup loose-pack frozen peas or frozen peas and carrots
  • 1 egg, beaten

directions

  1. Prepare Pastry Topper; set aside. (Recipe below.)
  2. In a large saucepan cook leek, mushrooms, celery, and sweet pepper in hot butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add broth and half-and-half all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and peas. Pour into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
  3. Place pastry over chicken mixture in dish. Turn edges of pastry under; flute to edges of dish. Brush pastry with some of the egg. If desired, place cut-out pastry shapes on top of pastry. Brush again with egg.
  4. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Creamy and delicious! I wasn't too sure how I'd feel about the mushrooms but it was great. Next time I make this I think I'll throw in some potatoes and an extra dash of salt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

pleas read about Islam if you want the truth

Anonymous said...

I and my family always sat in the beautiful countryside on Saturday morning, Abercrombie and Fitch Clothing in silence. Of course, D&G sunglasses it is the rhythm of headphones from the other soft and clear music. Some say that our family has a different pattern almost dr dre headphone beat. Also shot headphones, including me, Franklin Marshall Hoodies my friends are a model of a monster. This is indeed that monster beat in our lives is to become a regular thing. Morning, Hogan Men shoes my friend has just started their baseball game.